Saturday 23 June 2012

Two tier education system. Yes please. But call it two path.


I'm not a fan of Gove. I think he's in it to maintain the status quo like most senior Tory. But I am not going to let that cloud my judgement of his actions. I believe educating all the same is the wrong way. A multi-tier education system would be better. But can we call it multi path?

Guess what - I can't spell for toffee and do not remember words well, or names. There is no chance in hell of me learning another language and my punctuation is atrocious. Plus when I read I often see what I expect so spell checking is largely impossible.

I have a friend called Pete who is very good at those things who has admin access to my blogs. And if he has been here before you read this it will seem less . . . I'm not going to be politically correct. Less retarded.
But I am not retarded. Pete please confirm. . . fine . . sod you Pete.

I personally find it easy to understand how things work, including people, and invent solutions. I pick up most physical skill activities easily, am quick witted in conversation, and comparably good at maths. 

Now ask me to sit in an exam room and regurgitate information using a pen and paper.

I have long complained that the education system is flawed. It channels many of the talents a person might have through the narrow field of the written word.

The point I am going for is that while we must be able to read, write, and do basic maths, and time must be dedicated to these areas throughout our education, we should separate the learning paths to suit the talents of the learners.

I suspect that the people who decide how we should learn were invariably those for whom exploring the beauty of language was a skill and a joy. They won spelling competitions and composed magical phrasing and were praised greatly for their skill and their behaviour in a typical classroom setting.

That same person who may struggle with IT can't put a cupboard together, and has possibly never had an inventive thought in their life, potentially put in a position of management where intuition and inventiveness are of more value. A role to which they may be poorly suited, but confident of their cognitive intellect thanks to the affirmation they received while regurgitating information throughout their education.

Those same people also turned IT into the use of Microsoft Word for an entire generation.

Some children with keen cognitive intellects should be coming out of school knowing how to make an alternator. Having actually made one with loops of wire and magnets. They should understand the workings of a combine harvester. The reading and the writing for which they may have little aptitude carefully infused into the functional learning from which they may become an actual benefit to society, be happy and prosper.

But they can not prosper. Not while lawyers and tax dodgers run parliament. Rules creation and manipulation are the most significant competitive edge a company can hope for. Keeping business and politics tied. Making the masses work harder for less security. While ironically the few work harder still, just to grow an already impossibly large trust fund.

But I digress. We can't fix everything in the same breath.

So yes. I do seek a multi tier education system. Separate the learning styles of scholars, the technicians, the scientists and the artists and let all prosper doing things they have talent at and learning in a way that suits their mind. It makes them happy.

And that's really why we are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment